- We strive to provide complete care for our patients. Learn more about all the services we provide.
You are using an outdated browser. Please upgrade your browser to improve your experience.
Acupuncture | Charlotte | Matthews | Mint Hill | Indian Trail |
Acupuncture is an ancient health care system that has helped billions of people over the past 5000 years. Acupuncture utilizes needles applied to specific points on the body to promote natural healing. It can enhance recuperative power and immunity, support physical and emotional health and improve overall well being. Acupuncture is recognized by the National Institute of Health(NIH) and the World Health Organization(WHO) to be effective in the treatment of:
Pain Shoulder Pain Fibromyalgia
Low Back Pain Arthritis Anxiety/Depression/Stress
Sciatica Neck Pain Smoking Cessation
Headaches PMS Irritable Bowel Syndrome
How does Acupuncture work? Some of the current theories on the mechanism of acupucture are:
1. Gate Control Theory: Acupuncture activates nerve pathways that inhibit pain signals at the dorsal horn, effectively closing the gate on painful stimuli to the brain.
2. Neurotransmitter Theory: Acupuncture effects the higher brain regions by stimulating the secretion of beta endorphins and enkephalins(natural pain killers)in the brain and spinal fluid. This release of neurotransmitters effects the immune system and antinociceptive(pain) system.
3. Autonomic Nervous System Theory: Acupuncture stimulates the release of norepinephrin, acetycholine and several types of opiods that help normalize the autonomic nervous system, resulting in reduced pain.
4. Vascular-Interstitial Theory: Acupuncture effects the blood levels of triglycerides, cholesterol, and phospholipids which may help regulate homeostasis.
What does acupuncture feel like? Tiny, disposable, sterile needles are placed gently into specific acupuncture points. You may feel a slight prick or nothing at all upon needle insertion. Some people may feel energised after needle insertion while others feel relaxed. Treatment usually takes at least 20 minutes per session. Treatment may take over a period of several weeks or more depending on the history and severity of the condition being treated.
Is Acupuncture Safe? Dr. Dennis Schoen is a Chiropractic Physician with substantial conventional medical training in addition to his acupuncture training. The National Center for Complementary and Alternative Medicine(NCCAM) recommends practitioners with this background to accurately diagnose patients to make sure their condition can be safely treated with acupuncture. The FDA requires acupuncture needles be sterile, nontoxic, and labeled for single use only. A new set of disposable needles is taken from a sealed package for each patient and the area to be treated is swabbed with alcohol prior to needle insertion. For most musculoskeletal conditions acupuncture care has substantially less adverse effects than common drugs(ibuprofen & aspirin) or steroid injections.
Sign up now for a free consult!
|Monday||9:00 - 1:30||3:00 - 6:30|
|Tuesday||9:00 - 1:30||Closed|
|Wednesday||9:00 - 1:30||3:00 - 6:30|
|Friday||9:00 - 1:30||3:00 - 6:30|
|9:00 - 1:30||9:00 - 1:30||9:00 - 1:30||Appt. Only||9:00 - 1:30||Appt. Only||Closed|
|3:00 - 6:30||Closed||3:00 - 6:30||Closed||3:00 - 6:30||Closed||Closed|